At MOC I am currently work on: (i) Cloud monitoring: designing effective, and secure collection, storage, and servicing mechanisms of Cloud usage and operational data to enable better Cloud research and optimizations; (ii) Cloud operations analytics: offering machine-learning-based analysis and combinatorial optimizations for improved efficiency and security in Cloud operations; and (iii) Cloud-based Big Data Platforms: building high-performance, end-to-end Big Data solutions for performance critical applications such as healthcare problems.
My other reseach interests lie in applications that involve graphs: feature analysis and parallel computations on large scale graphs such as those of social/cyber networks. My early work was on traditional applications of combinatorial scientific computing such as sparse matrix computations to information retrieval problems.
- D. Turkoglu, A. Turk, Edge-Based Wedge Sampling to Estimate Triangle Counts in Very Large Graphs, in IEEE ICDM, 2017.
- O. Tuncer, E. Ates, Y. Zhang, A. Turk, J. Brandt, V. J. Leung, M. Egele, and A. K. Coskun, Diagnosing Performance Variations in HPC Applications Using Machine Learning, in ISC HPC, 2017. Gauss Award Winner
- R. Pienaar, A. Turk, J. Bernal-Rusiel, N. Rannou, D. Haehn, P. E. Grant and O. Krieger, CHIPS – A Service for Collecting, Organizing, Processing, and Sharing Medical Image Data in the Cloud, in VLDB DMAH, 2017.
- A. Turk, H. Chen, A. Byrne, J. Knollmeyer, S. Duri, C. Isci, and A. K. Coskun “DeltaSherlock: Identifying Changes in the Cloud”, in IEEE BigData, 2016.
- J. Hennessey, S. Tikale, A. Turk, E. Kaynar, C. Hill, P. Desnoyers, O. Krieger, “HIL: Designing an Exokernel for the Data Center”, in SoCC, pp. 155–168, 2016.
- G. B. Tran, A. Turk, B. B. Cambazoglu, “A Random Walk Model for Optimization of Search Impact in Web Frontier Ranking”, in SIGIR, pp 153–162, 2015.
- M. Zapater, A. Turk, J. M. Moya, J. L. Ayala, A. K. Coskun, “Dynamic Workload and Cooling Management in High-Efficiency Data Centers”, in IGSC, 2015.
- A. Turk, O. R. Selvitopi, C. Aykanat, H. Ferhatosmanoglu, “Temporal Workload-Aware Replicated Partitioning for Social Networks”. IEEE TKDE, 2014.
- A. Turk, K. Y. Oktay, C. Aykanat, “Query-Log Aware Replicated Declustering”, IEEE TPDS. 24(5), pp. 987-995, 2012.
- O. R. Selvitopi, A. Turk, C. Aykanat, “Replicated Partitioning for Undirected Hypergraphs”, JPDC, 72(4), pp: 547–563, April 2012.
My google scholar page, my cv.
Postdoc @ Yahoo Labs, Barcelona (2013 -- 2014)
I was a postdoc at the Web Retrieval Team of Yahoo Labs, Barcelona, mainly working on user profile generation, entity suggestion, and ad CTR prediction.
Company founder and partner @ Bor Software Inc. (2007 -- 2010)
I was among the five founding partners of Bor Soft of Turkey. I worked as a managing partner between 2007 and 2010 within various projects including Web 2.0, mobile app., GIS systems, and content management systems development. I cashed out in 2010 to finish my PhD.
PhD from Computer Engineering Dept. of Bilkent University (2012)
Thesis title: Utilizing Query Logs for Data Replication and Placement in Big Data Applications