There are multiple PhD student positions available in the groups I work with around the Massachusetss Open Cloud (MOC) project where I lead the monitoring and the BigData research teams.
In MOC we are building a public cloud from ground up in close collaboration with industry partners (Intel, Brocade, RedHat, Lenovo, Cisco, and TwoSigma and other partners). While building a new model for doing cloud computing, we are adressing interesting and challenging problems spanning multiple layers of a cloud deployment.
- If you have a broad computer science and engineering undergraduate background along with outstanding prior academic performance
- If you are interested in cloud computing, data analytics and BigData solutions, or distributed systems research
- If you have a proven expertise in the above listed topics or
- If you have curiosity and engagement with current technological trends and an interest in discovering and innovating beyond the accepted norms along with adaptability and willingness to learn about and use new technologies and applications
then please send me a personal email contaning the following points:
- Indicate if you have formally applied to the PhD program at Boston University ECE Department or if you are ready to submit your application;
- Highlight your relevant project or research experience briefly but as precisely as possible (e.g., Have you contributed substantially to a software development project, and if so roughly how many lines of code and in which environment did you develop? Have you worked in any cloud computing project? Do you have work/internship experience; what were your tasks? Do you have any published work, and if so, what is your contribution in the paper?)
- Attach a 1-page resume to your email;
- Include the phrase MOC – Prospective PhD” in your subject line;
- Keep the email as short as possible and only include highly relevant information.
In addition to positions in MOC, professors I collaborate have multiple open positions in their groups as well. If you are interested in the following topics:
- Storage systems
- Cloud security
- Operating systems or
- High Performance Computing
then feel free to give a shout with an email as described above as well.
Thank you for your interest, and good luck with the pursuit of finding the right PhD program and advisor!
-- Dr. Ata Turk